Ally Blake Romance Author - Blog

Latest news from Australian romance author Ally Blake, writer of fun, fresh flirty romance novels.

Monday 30 May 2011

pillow talk ~ character interviews

Do you also do any sort of 'interviewing' system for your characters to make them more real? ... as asked by Daneille

Ah, no. It's just not me.

Maybe for me it doesn't gel. Maybe I simply don't have the time to do that when I could be writing instead. But mostly I think it's because I like to "write into the mist". If I know too much about my characters or about their story, I'd be bored writing it! I need to discover the characters as the reader would in order to maintain a freshness in my writing.

That said, some authors are brilliant character interviewers! It can be really helpful in getting to know things about them you never saw coming. And in getting to know their natural "voice" which is great for writers who struggle with writing dialogue. The fabulous Trish Wylie is one who interviews with relish. Here's an interview she did with one of her heroines. Now, can you tell this is a girl who knows how to write dialogue? (If you want to know more about Ash, grab the eBook here)

If you want to give it a go you can google "character interviews" for lots of ways of doing it. Or simply open a fresh word file, say "hi" and see where it takes you!

Have more writing craft questions? Comment, Twitter, Facebook or email and I'll post my answers here!

Labels: ,